London is not only one of the most gorgeous global cities, thanks to its architecture, cultural life, and vibrant economic activity. It is also the world’s leading location for programs that actively help underprivileged populations through entrepreneurship initiatives.
For Positive Planet, whose goal is to undertake development projects that benefit such populations, being in London is therefore a great opportunity. Here, we can exchange with a multitude of foundations, with a view to building long-term relationships. We can foster projects that radically and positively transform opportunities for the people whose lives we are working to improve.
Providing access to financing, management or technical training; jump-starting the production process; supporting the target population through the cultural change that increased income brings; all resulting in a positive economy: this is our mission.
Positive Planet UK takes a three-pronged approach in furtherance of this mission.
The first prong is development. We work to form strategic partnerships with both public and private entities to facilitate more effective implementation of Positive Planet initiatives, both at home and around the world.
The second prong is to solicit financial support. As a registered charity in the UK, Positive Planet UK organizes unique and beautiful fundraising events that help sustain Positive Planet projects in other parts of the world.
The third and final prong is the launch of an entrepreneurial project here in the UK. As Positive Planet UK becomes more firmly rooted in UK society, including welcoming our chairman, Lord Jay, a member of the House of Lords, we look to serve the most vulnerable segment of our population by providing them access to entrepreneurship. When Positive Planet brought a similar program to the banlieues in France, three years later, 68% of the businesses created through the programme were still active, and 90% of participants were back to work. We want to bring the same prospect to those in need throughout the UK.
Marianne Syed, Executive Director of Positive Planet UK
SUPPORT THE MISSION
How to Donate and Benefit from the Gift Aid System
How it works:
- Increase the impact of your donation by 125%:Donating through Gift Aid means Positive Planet can claim an extra 25 pence for every £1 you give, without costing you any extra
- Decrease taxes paid on your donation by 20%:If you pay tax at a higher or additional rate, you can claim the difference between the rate at which you pay tax, and the basic rate of your donation
What you have to do:
- Make a Gift Aid declaration to the charity you want to donate to through Gift Aid. This provides us with the minimum information required for us to be able to claim Gift Aid on a donation
- You can include all donations from the last four years
- You must have paid income or capital gains tax (in the UK) for each tax year at least equal to the tax that all the charities that you donate to will reclaim on your gifts for that tax year
- Your donations will qualify as long as they are not more than four times what you have paid in tax that tax year
- In order to claim the difference between the rate you pay on your tax and the basic rate of your donation, just declare it on your Self Assessment tax return, or by asking HMRC to amend your tax code